Saturday, October 16, 2010

AK relief maps

Map making.  That is just what we did this week for social studies.  The topic--landforms.  I looked at the sheets the students were to do and thought, yawn.  So I found a great way to make the lesson come alive by having the kids create a map of Alaska.

It was a process.

First, the kids labeled blank maps by using an atlas.  Some kids really struggled to transfer what they saw on one page to another blank page.  The second day, the kids were given another blank sheet of paper and put dough on it in the shape of AK.  Once the maps dried, they were painted, labeled, and sealed.  It turned out really well.  In doing this project, I understand a lot more about this place than before as well. 

We also did some great fall poems this week too.  It took some coaching and a lot of brainstorming, but my group of rock stars got it.

For those of you that have not been around second graders for a while or don't really remember what kids of this age are capable of doing, it is a lot.  They are little sponges.  Some of them are getting into chapter books and they can write so well already and it is only been seven weeks.

I'm so lucky to be a teacher.
Student painting salt dough map

Relief maps on display

No comments:

Post a Comment