Saturday, October 30, 2010

An eerie feeling

You know the one.  The perhaps we could end up victims like on those animal attack shows-feelings.  Fortunately, we were not attacked.

We went to the beach again today.  Low tide was at 2:30.  The wind had been blowing pretty intensely and there was rain on and off but we had to get out.  I never thought to myself while walking on the balmy beaches of Okinawa, "in the future, I would love to do this in Alaska, wearing all my rain gear and long johns, with snow boots."

Anyways, we found another section of rocky shoreline while out exploring and thought, huh, this looks cool.  So we checked it out.  While walking, we observed tons of smashed shells.  Then we noticed the Harbor Seals in the water.  In recent trips, I had felt that wherever we walked the seals were following us, then I would brush it off.  Today they really did follow us.  I imagine that they thought that people = free scraps (from fishing).  Online, Nate read about seal bombs fisherman use to get them away from their boats.  They tend to be a nuisance.

At one point as we walked at the water's edge and noticed that instead of swimming away from us, they were getting closer.  At one point, I looked up from the ground and saw seven heads in a semi-circle in the water watching us.  The two on the edge of the circle were at least 10 yards away from shore.  It was creepy.  Behind us was a steep cliff, in front of us was two feet of small rocks and a team of mammals not that far out.  Being that I did not grow up with seals, I tend to feel a little apprehensive in situations like this.

Seal.  A bird flew over as I took the shot.  The two dark orbs facing the camera are Harbor Seals.  Notice the snow on the mountains in the background.  We had a ten minute blowing of snow go through yesterday, but only the mountains remained dusted.  The weather is bizarre here.  

Seal.  He turned his head you can really see the spots on it.  They are so neat.  If their heads are this big, it would be interesting to see how big the rest of the body would be

No comments:

Post a Comment