Wednesday, December 15, 2010

That isn't lettuce

I came home today tired and hungry.  Nothing new there, but when I went to make the recipe that I originally intended, the cook and prep time was longer than I had expected.  Time for a new idea.  So I rifled around and found the ingredients for tacos, minus shells or tortillas.  I quickly found a recipe for tortilla shells online and went to work.  Thankfully, Nate got home just in time to help tag team the cooking.

Lettuce is hard to come by and our produce shipment won't come until the end of the week, so we used cabbage.  Around here cabbage is used in lieu of lettuce frequently.  We learned this when we had salmon tacos during a teacher in service.  How does it taste?  Nothing short of amazing.  Seriously, try it out.  It is so hearty that it gives a delightful crunch when biting into it.
Tortillas baby!  These dandies may resemble the ones I made and wrote about in the Idle Time post, but are quite different.  These didn't take as long to make and are composed of flour, baking powder, water, and a little lard.  When eaten hot, boy are they exquisite!
Tacos.
How were the softshell tacos?  Fabulous!  If you have never made or had homemade tortillas, try it.   Whoa Nellie!  Don't forget to try cabbage on there.

No comments:

Post a Comment