Monday, December 6, 2010

Refueling above very cold saltwater

We were down to a quarter of a tank.  I know Dad, you shouldn't let it get lower than half a tank in the winter...  It has odd hours though.  Noon to 5:30 and it is closed on weekends.

Gassing up here though is a very different experience.  To simply put it, I wasn't that comfortable with the idea of getting gas here.  Only one other time was I apprehensive about refueling.  I was deployed to Spain and took myself on a little road trip.  On the way back I noticed the fuel was getting low, so I stopped at a gas station.  What type of fuel did it take, gas or diesel?  I asked a nearby person in English but was brushed off  and was left to figure it out myself.  I matched the words up with what I found in the manual and filled the car up.  I'm sure there was an easier way but shoot, I was 20 and in a foreign land.

Back to the present...  Below is the experience documented via pictures.
In this photo, I am about to approach the fuel dock.  It is suspended above the ocean and the dock is made of wood.  Funny, I just noticed that the sign says Only 3 vehicles allowed on the fuel dock and 5,000 LB max vehicle weight.
Our gas station.  When I took this picture a vehicle came up behind me, I felt a slight up and down movement of my car.  Perhaps it was the wind.  Maybe it was the weight of the vehicle behind me, either way I was VERY aware of it.
Refueling with a view.   Notice the setting sun, this photo was taken at 4:50 pm today on December 6.
On a side note, the facility located in the middle right of the photo is the Trident cannery.
How much does it cost to refuel a vehicle here?  Check out the receipt.  I don't know what the rates are anywhere else but  this isn't too bad considering  a 4.5 lb ham set us back $30.

2 comments:

  1. i am having troubles posting. the one post from shannon was from me. I think i got it now but anyway happy early birthday

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. It lands on the best day of the week too. Hope all is well with you.

    I changed the "posting" thing so you shouldn't have a problem anymore. I still have to approve them but now it should be easier.

    ReplyDelete