Looking out at our rain drenched windows, I think about how lucky we are to be in such a place without distractions. Being isolated without a whole lot entertainment options isn't really that bad at all. The AC store here for example has limited weekend hours and I am unsure what the weekly schedule looks like. When there is something going on around town, it closes down. So, no loitering there... There is a boys and girls club and a community center that hosts events from time to time. Other than the school events, there really isn't a whole lot to do here during rainy weather, which is most of the time.
Shortly after we arrived here, it was easy to focus on what we did not have or could do, if only we could get into town (Anchorage) and get those things. Everything we needed. Looking back, we didn't do too much, let alone purchase anything significant our last year of college as the high cost of living in that town coupled with tuition was taking a serious toll on us. It bothered me then thinking about not being able to get neat stuff, but the bills were paid and that was something. We still managed to have a blast out west despite not having much disposable cash. Now we have two incomes and are miles away from the nearest store and we could not be happier. Maybe it was just time for a transition.
I guess what I am saying is that sometimes things get too fuzzy with distractions. Without those items that TV ads say consumers should buy and do, we're doing just fine, maybe even better being that we can pay closer attention to the details. Then again, I have always been a fan of country living to that of the city.
No comments:
Post a Comment