Today I had my first evaluation at work. New folks have two observations per year and those that have been teaching longer only have one. The subject observed was science. The kids were in groups using levers to determine how many pennies it would take to lift a bar of soap. We have science fair coming up in a couple of weeks and this experiment will be the topic for our class science board. Plus, we have been doing simple machines for the past two weeks, so this final project is the last item before moving on.
How did it go? The kids worked so well together. I was so proud of them. Each time a group would experience success, there was a squeal followed by, "We did it!" There were only a few things that did not go smoothly, but like any lesson, it all depends on what kind of day we are having. At the end as I gave the kids the signal to clean up, one student holding a cup of pennies tripped and coins exploded all over the place. Needless, to say the transition from hands-on to the final discussion was a little shorter than I wanted. Perhaps, their teacher should have budgeted more time at the end... Wink, wink. Overall it was great.
I still got a tad nervous and sweat a little. How embarrassing. Normally, I don't mind people popping in and observing.
No comments:
Post a Comment