Tuesday, February 15, 2011

In the Bush on an Island

Living on an island is hard.  People here seem to do just fine.  I am still feeling a little awkward.  I was surprised by the amount and variety of Valentine paraphernalia the kids had here yesterday (and not just Valentine's Day, any holiday or occasion).  Our local AC store has a limited selection, yet one would never know it by looking at all the stuff the kids have. 

I think a lot of it is bought in Anchorage.  Locals call Anchorage town.  With the price of tickets, one would think that people would internet shop for everything, not really.  Plane travel is part of life here.

I can't wait to get established.  That feeling of oh, so that's how you do it, is getting to me.  Amidst the exhaustion of doing a good job, getting certified, and just making it, I'm tired.

It will be nice to finally figure out the best way to get meat here.  Whether or not we should buy institutional sized amounts of food from Costco in Seattle, then barge it over or if we should buy smaller sizes from Sam's Club in Anchorage and pay to have it sent in the mail.  Either way, we'll have to figure something out soon, I hear the prices at the AC store just went up 25%.

So many questions, so much to figure out.  My mind is swimming.

2 comments:

  1. We get out meat from Omaha Steaks online. Wait for free shipping and then it only costs $24 to send it to Alaska. Their prices are a tad high, but the meat is amazingly good. It comes frozen solid in a styrofoam box, so no worries about it spoiling on the way. Oh, and it usually arrives within a week after you order!!! The quality, and quickness, are worth the extra few bucks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A colleague gave us a box of hamburgers to try out from them. Paired with homemade buns and cheese from back home... Yummers.

    Thanks for the advice Meghan. Good to know about the shipping too.

    ReplyDelete