Just checking in. All is well out this way. We just began an independent study course through Fairbanks. It is about the geography of Alaska. So far it has been really interesting and informative. Unlike our previous location in Montana, we are unable to hop into a car and road trip to random towns just for funsies. So learning about where we are relative to our surroundings has been slow coming. If I could and Alaska's cities were all connected by roads, there are a couple of places that I would visit... The town of Purgatory and M'Ladies Mountain. In the past, I have been lured to off the map places with cool names only to find myself confused. Beach, North Dakota was anything but, yet plain sounding Lincoln, Montana was delightfully fabulous.
What prompted us to take this class in our first year of teaching on top of the mountain of other things? Well, to fulfill one of the requirements to get our Alaska Teaching Certification. (for us this means taking reading, writing, & math tests and finally an Alaskan history & humanities class---Then we'll be good to go). We have two years to complete the college courses and only one to pass the three tests. Should we fail to pass the tests, we will not be teaching next fall. So lately, I have been focusing on each day as it comes and deciding which things have priority and those that can wait...
The future days and months are looking pretty booked for us. So if we seem a little distant these days, we are either doing something for the classroom or playing the role of student. I will however pop in from time to time as things strike me as blogworthy.
Again, I am unable to post a photo in this entry. The camera is at school being used to document the science fair process.
Love the slideshow of pictures!!
ReplyDeleteThanks. Rather than leave them buried in old posts, I found a way to showcase them.
ReplyDeleteHope all is well out that way. Thanks for warmth.