Monday, January 3, 2011

Boats

Week 17, day 80.  It feels super to be back after a two week break.  I was beginning to feel a little pent up.  The students were in such great spirits today.  I wasn't sure what to expect after such a long break.  How lucky I am to have such a sweet group of kids. 

At the end of the day, I stopped by Nate's room for our routine, how was your day at school?  After we were done talking I looked around the room and thought about something that is a big deal around here.  Fishing.  It is evident everywhere and it is a little different than fishing on a lake back home.

Choose a student from any grade to draw picture for you and you'll likely get a picture of a boat.  Keep in mind these drawings aren't just any old boats, they have names, registration numbers and the components one would find on a real boat.

(By the way, the proper term for the vessels below is boat.   Refer to the September, Squishy skiff seats post to see the difference between a boat and a skiff--the kids made certain that I knew the difference and kept reinforcing it in my vocabulary until I got it).

I'll let the art below speak for me.  This is what life is like here through their eyes.
Lil Koot.  In pencil.

Aleut Son.  In pencil.

Untitled.  In colored pencil

Sleep Robber.  In pencil.

Aleut Prince.  In colored pencil.

Exterminater [sic].  Carved out of styrofoam complete with rope and metal rails.

Champion.  In crayon.

Hunter.  In crayon.

Girl's Boat Only.  In pencil and marker.

Arriah.  In pencil and crayon.

Untitled.  In colored pencil.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! Awesome pictures!! It is so neat to see the way kids view their surroundings!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are neat huh? I should mention that the kids do draw other things too. Boats come up a lot since we are in a fishing community.

    Speaking of boats, we have been talking about getting out and working on one this summer.

    ReplyDelete