Though I would have loved elbowing my way around looking for good deals on Black Friday today, I took a six hour hike instead. It was nice to get outdoors after a long stretch of nasty weather. Below, I'll include highlights from the trip. The photo clarity is hazy since the sky was so dreary, I just could not get the best shots. It really was dreary like this for the most part, the sun only popped out a couple of times.
 |
| This is what the tundra looks like. Today a friend and I walked across this while her significant other hunted for ptarmigan and rabbit. Walking across this type of land felt spongy and enjoyable. Like most delightful things though, the novelty quickly wore off and our calves and quadriceps were left burning. |
 |
| This is a ptarmigan, for those of you unfamiliar, the "p" is silent, and believe me don't say puh-tuh-arm-i-gin, people frown. In the summer they are all brown and blend in with the landscape, then in the fall they turn white. Here it is very bright against the plush, mossy background and it would seem as if it would stand out against the dead landscape. These little guys, along with the bright white rabbits were difficult to see despite this. With the lumpiness of the terrain and the thick of the alder trees, it was tough to spot them. Tomorrow we are invited for dinner and this specimen is on the menu. I can't wait, they are supposed to be tasty. And by the way, if one would like to hunt small game here, the license is 20 dollars, though I am unsure about how one gets ammo as the selection at the store is limited. |
 |
| The all terrain vehicle trail that we were on twisted about and took us near the edge of this cliff. Behind me is other side of the cliff edge. Interestingly enough,there was a rope that one could scale if he or she wanted to climb to the bottom, it looked a tad too treacherous for me. |
 |
| Tucked on the other side of this stately cliff is our airport, the black asphalt peeking out is the runway. A few minutes before this shot, a plane took off. I can't help but feel excited when I hear them; to me it means that life is going on despite the sleepy pace of this place. A colleague told me that two planes fly out per day, though the chances of securing a flight out of here on any given day is a gamble. |
 |
| These pothole are scattered all over here. Sometimes, it is difficult to see them if navigating through the thick brush. The land here is very different from that of anywhere I have lived. It is spongy and swampy and while walking, it is not uncommon to step right into a small creek without warning. I have had a few close calls as they are hard to hear until one is about to step right into one. |
No comments:
Post a Comment