Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Confinement of another kind

I think back to that movie where the cop/detective goes up to AK to solve a murder.  Well, the main guy has a difficult time with the never ending light situation in the summer and starts to lose his mind from insomnia.  I remember thinking, yeah right.  Wuss.  I am so much better than that.

Here I sit on the flip side of the situation with darkness creeping in both morning and evenings.  I do recall  having difficulties falling sleep in the summer when it was bright too.  Waking up around two or three in the morning to see a very bright sky.  It was all so bizarre and through groggy eyes that I am unsure of the details. 

Currently, our mornings stay dark until nine/ten o'clock.  I don't know the exact time as I am in the classroom and focused on the kids.  It is easy to overlook when one is working on a myriad of other things. 

Lately though, it has been getting dark around 6:00 pm.  At first, we would look at the clock and say, jeez, it's only 7:00, I feel like it is so late.  Well, it is hitting me kind of hard.  I thought I was getting sick as every night around 6:30 pm I have felt so bushwhacked and fight sleep for an hour or so on the couch.  Last week, I barely made it to 9:00 pm to crawl into bed each night.

Dark does impact people.  There you have it.  Perhaps that explains why my "morning person" side has missed the bus lately.  I really think that it has to do with the shortening days and my body's inability to know when things are going to even out.  Even working the most stressful and unpleasant jobs in the past, I have always been Perky Betty in the morning.  Here, I feel like I am living in Bizzaro World as mentioned in a sitcom episode some years back by an Elaine and Jerry.  

Is there a connection?  I think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment