Growing up, I developed the habit of saying, oh crap. I realized that this was somewhat of a regional thing when I went to boot camp in Texas. The people I came in contact with while there, did not use the phrase. More recently, there was a cartoon the mocked characters saying, Oh crap from the part of the country that I am from. Perhaps it is said other places, but I sure got a lot of grief saying wherever I went. People would always ask where I was from. Perhaps it was the accent. Maybe it was just me. Despite this, I never seemed to stop saying it.
Well, this habit carried on into the classroom and even some of the students began to say it. It dawned on me that the little sponges were merely saying what they heard and I had to nip it in the bud. What kind of teacher uses the brown word anyhow?
One day, a student said, oh crap! At that moment, I decided it was time to replace "oh crap" with "oh pickles". But not pronounced in the normal way. We say it like Mr. Garrison from the South Park cartoon (and in no way did I tell the students this--I just figured the goofier the better and it would likely stick better than some lame replacement word). If you are unfamiliar with this cartoon, ask a friend or Google it. The kids were a little hesitant at first, but latched on after a few practice runs.
Ouch, oh pickles, Mrs, I just crashed into the table and hit my private. Pickles!
Oh, pickles, I forgot my homework in the kitchen!
Or from me, oh pickles, I just got a nasty paper cut!
Try it. You'll be sure to enjoy it.
No comments:
Post a Comment