Personally, I try to stay away from unnecessary butter use in my own cooking. I liked it that way on Saturday, but for daily use, I just don't want to have problems down the road. So I tried a variation.
Cut off the skin, cut it into slices, dip in egg, roll in smashed saltine crackers, bake, then toss into a homemade Syrian bread cover, and gyro it up baby.
Salmon, a garlic/dill yogurt sauce with stewed tomatoes. A lovely match. Viola, salmon gyros. Had I have taken my time with the bread, I would have pockets to stuff the contents in. Learning to cook in humidity will take time and an evening without a billion things packed into it.
The end result was scrumptious. We'll have to start sprouts and top it with those next time. A nice change on the, what to do with a freezer full of fish and limited options business.
![]() |
| Yum town. |

All of your pictures of food make my mouth water!!! YUMMY! Wish I my kids would eat fun/unique things like you make. I have to agree with Brandi; reading your blog is like a mini-vacation for me! Love my life here but sometimes its nice to let my mind pretend its somewhere else. Then I "come back" feeling refreshed and ready to tackle my everyday chores!!
ReplyDeleteyummy, Gina i'm so proud of you with all the cooking and creativity you cook with, and the things you eat that you turned your nose up at when you where young, they say fish is brain food if that's the case you and Nate's brain will be so big that you will have to grow bigger heads Ha. just enjoy your blogs so much, Love ya lots Mom
ReplyDeleteThanks Momma Bear. As far as the food choices, there are slim pickings when it comes to meat on the island.
ReplyDeleteIt is what kind of fish do you want to cook with today?
We are soon to make an internet order for meat from some place in Anchorage. I'm dying for pork or chicken or even a steak.
Funny how you crave the things you only ate once in a while in the past.