Friday, September 24, 2010

Ah, Friday

We have reached the end of week four.  I really feel like I am finally getting the hang of things.  At first it is tough to get into the routine for both the kids and their teacher.  Every week I put in around six hours on Sundays to plan.  While at the school, I prep for the week by creating a weekly lesson plan and make copies of any item that will be handed out.  As this jobby becomes more familiar, the time I spend on prepping will dwindle.

So what is it like in the day in the life of a teacher or at least the author's experience at it thus far?  Well, I get into the classroom first thing in the morning and look over what is going on, check e-mails, and make any last minute copies, then go to pick up the kids.  If I am lucky, through out the day I can use the time the kids are at gym, lunch/recess, or art to correct papers, call parents, or simply make a bathroom break.  Normally, I am working with other teachers or have to make a mad dash during my "free time" to make copies of anything we have planned for a child that is leaving town for a day, week, or longer.  For the most part, lunch is consumed over the copier, while I am running down the halls, or admidst mouthfuls of food over "hey, I need to talk to you a minute about..."  This week though, I have had a few civilized seated lunches, and as I recall they were quite pleasant. 

All in all it is all about time management and you get out of it what you first put in.  Generally, I like to bust anything out that I can during the day to gain "me time" during the evenings.  So far so good. Soon, gym will find its way into the routine but as far as that goes, I am waiting until I get the hang of things in my room before I add on another "to do".  Soon though.  At the school we have a large pool and a gym with a brand new elliptical trainer that has been calling me.   

Gym or not, all this running without a vehicle, and lack of convenience foods, we are dropping the weight that we acquired during that last daunting year of college.  Last time I checked, twelve pounds friends.  Nate even more.  And don't worry families, we are eating, we're just finally at a point in our lives where we are no longer sedentary (sitting in classrooms, then buzzing home to grab fast food at the end of a long and mentally draining, day).

No fast food here.  Sigh.  Guilty pleasure no more.

No comments:

Post a Comment