Monday, May 30, 2011

Sunny

Yesterday was the first warm sunny day in a long time.  Everyone that we came into contact with was euphoric.  We went to the beach, picked someone up from the ferry, and then visited the only establishment open on a Sunday night.  It is crazy how a day of sun can change people from cynical to just plain giddy--myself included.

Today it is rainy again.  All it takes to make it through days like these is a sighting of sun every so often.  I'll let the pictures illustrate the magic.

And I say, it's alright.  

By the way family, are you ready?  See you soon.  My only requests are green leafy veggies and bananas.  I haven't had a good banana in a year.

Petrified wood cairn.
Beach glass.  Once sharp and offensive like a prison shank, glass that is subjected to waves, tide and natural elements becomes stunning.  A lot of people here use it to make beautiful jewelry pieces.  Did you know that one can achieve a similar look by smashing a fill-in-the-blank designer glass bottle and putting select pieces into a rock tumbler?  Red glass is especially elegant.
I found this flower while climbing up a soft grassy cliff.  A sign of the changing season.  The trees still have yet to open their buds.  The leaves are there but just not out quite yet. 

Part of a boat wreck.  It was the Rey Mar Houston.  It was neat to crawl around in but impossible to climb on top of.  Well, there was the possibility of climbing up but I had a vision of myself somehow making it up halfway only to have my back opened like a zipper---not something to go through prior to hopping on four airplanes this following week.

Alaska Ferry serving south central AK.  In the summer, this ferry comes once a month to this island.  It is based out of Kodiak and serves from Homer all the way to Dutch Harbor.  It houses cabins, a place for vehicles, and seating.  Some people would rather save cash and pitch a tent on board, and this is perfectly okay to do.  I think next year when we need to get our vehicle serviced in Anchorage, we'll take a float on this bad boy and get off at Homer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment