Ten minutes into the start of class today one of my students made a funny remark.
We were in the back of the room and one of the lights flickered for a brief moment. The student looked up at the light and said in a very serious tone, please God, let the power go out today.
I'm certain that I should have said something teacherly, but instead, I just started laughing and laughing one of those inappropriate belly laughs. It was the timing, the student's body language, and the fact that we had just started our morning meeting and only 10 minutes of time had elapsed.
The comment was also funny because sometimes the power does go out here. Our power company has generators and from time to time, maintenance needs to be done, high winds cause it to go out (I am just speculating here as I don't know if that is the real reason, but there is a connection), or for reasons that are beyond me, the electricity just shuts off. Sometimes it is out for minutes, other times it for hours, though the hour time periods are usually pre-planned and the community gets a heads up.
I've had comment blurted like that from my students...then we have the 'think before you speak' lesson ;-)
ReplyDeleteGotta love it though....my reaction is usually to laugh too!