Today I cut out some things for my classroom while Nate sorted through his newly acquired science mess . He truly has a gold mine full of all kinds of neat science related things. He even found two egg incubators. I would love to hatch chickens for fresh eggs but being that we are renting... That probably is out of the question.
Later in the afternoon, one of the many town dogs escorted me to the store. I was all by myself for most of the walk, so it was pretty comforting to have a companion. My sense of doggie adoring bliss quickly ended when I snapped back into real life and walked into the local store. The prices here are rather... well, I'll put it how I was told when inquiring about what to expect, "
they are higher than what you might be used to". The store is pretty small so I did not take pictures to avoid being labeled as that
bizarre new teacher... In the inventory below, I will refrain from using brand names. Quite a dollar difference from the Anchorage post.
 |
| View from grocery store parking lot. |
Classic Roast Coffee, 2 lb/33 oz, $15.39
Milk,
half gallon, $4.99 (sold in half gallons so figure $9.98/gal of milk)
Sugar, 10 lb bag, $9.99
Flour, 10 lb bag, $8.75
Grated Parmesan Cheese, 8 oz, $7.29
Pork Sausage, 1 lb, $6.59
Mayo, 30 fl oz, $8.99
Eggs, 1 dozen, $3.29
Toilet Paper, 24 regular rolls $15.89 (the others were more)
Now there are other options. The internet for one and there is also a company that offers a package of fresh produce every two weeks for around $60. Also from time to time the store has sales, so if you if are able to save here and there the prices are somewhat doable.
So there you have it. Island life comes with a price.
No comments:
Post a Comment