Monday, August 30, 2010

Why do we have to write so much?

School started today.  There are too many things running through my mind right now to pin any one thing or idea down.  Yep.  It was that--well, it was just the first day.  How does the first day of anything go?  A couple of the highlights that stood out were the two boys running back to the room yelling, I'm not washing my hands in there (bathroom) someone is peeing on the floor.  Or the walk-and-throw-up display I witnessed with a mouthful of cafeteria food.  Reflecting back though, it all seems as if it was successful.  The hours and hours we put into setting up, creating plans, and making the magic happen, paid off.

What a day.  Well folks, that is all that I have.  I am tired and if I don't take a break, I'll be doing the kids a disservice tomorrow.  I promise to write more later.  Just too whooped to do so, plus have some planning to do.

Real quick before I forget, I'll include a picture of what someone gave Nate yesterday.  Well, originally they (person had a few in the back of the truck) were not "meant" for us--a neighbor was supposed to be the receiver but folks are so generous that we ended up getting one too.
Halibut.  It is a flat fish.  They get much larger than this.

The underside.  Ignore the chef's knife for filleting fish.  It is all we had. 
"watch the teeth they'll get you- it got me through the glove"  Apparently his hand was pretty chewed up.

1 comment:

  1. Great blog, Gina! This is Nate's Aunt Caroline. Kathleen was good enough to pass along your blog link to all of us, her siblings. The day she sent the link, I checked out your site, but only had time to read one entry. That was so well-written that I knew I'd be back to read everything once I had some free time open up. Today was that lucky day for me. You have a GREAT gift for description. I spent 19 years as a freelance writer/photographer, and I greatly appreciate someone who writes the details of a place, such as your description of the island and its geology, smells, cloud cover, and late-night lawn mowing episode. One of my favorite lines in all your blogs was in the "Getting Closer," when you said, "When I got home yesterday, I felt as if someone had hijacked my body and then crashed it into some tree right next to bear country." WONDERFUL line! Your pictures also add a lot to my grasp of what the island looks like, from the magpies/eagle combo shot to the views from the school playground and store. Even the food pics help me better grasp how much seafood now plays a major role in your diet...I've enjoyed your writing and photos so much that I plan to share your blog link with others. Thanks for a great job. I hope your school year is going well.

    ReplyDelete