Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Cost of in Sand Point, Anchorage

I leave for town (Anchorage) tomorrow, but before leaving, I'll be doing a little price comparison.  Upon coming here, one goes through the stages of grief.  I know that I'm being silly in expressing this, but below has been my experience up to this point.

First, there is shock.  What?  I'm not paying for that.

Then, there is pain and guilt.  I know I need dairy and fresh fruits, but there is no way I'll shell out that much.

Then there is a depression, so to speak.  Why did I even come out here?  I can't afford this.  I can't just eat ramen noodles. Colleagues explain other possibilities, you listen, but feel helpless.  Buy it from Costco in Seattle, they'll put it on a barge and send it over.  You can always have it shipped through cargo, they'll bring it in on a plane...

Things begin to look up.  You realize that the cost isn't so bad.  You begin to work through it.

Finally, there is acceptance.  Things are expensive for a reason.  We leave miles away from from a large city.

Only occasionally are you reminded of prices.  This happened as we were paving the road a couple days ago.  A member of the asphalt crew from Kodiak and expressed his disbelief.  "Jeez, I thought Kodiak was expensive!"  My reply was, "it really isn't that bad, at first it seems like it."  The man returned a stare of, I am speaking with a crazy person.  "Did you see the price of Crown?"  That comment was the inspiration of this post.  When I get into Anchorage, I'll add their prices.

Update:  Below the photos, in red, are the Anchorage prices

Red Bull Energy Drink.  12 oz $4.99, 8.4 oz $3.39
12 oz $2.78, 8.4 oz $1.88
1/2 gallon milk $5.00+
1/2 gallon $2.19
Sugar 10 lb bag $13.99
Sugar 10 lb
Brand Name $8.68
Generic  $6.98
Flour 25 lb bag $27.25
Flour 25lb bag $13.28
Ground Beef lean, 1 lb frozen $6.29
Lean $6.48, 
80%lean $4.98
73%lean $3.98
Oreo Cookies $6.59
$3.26
Can of Soup, 18.8 oz $4.79
$2.28
Doritos chips $7.95
Doritos $3.86
Bottle of Soda, 12 oz $2.69
12 oz $1.78
Liter $2.25
12 pack of soda $11.49
12 pk $4.98
18 pack Bud Light $37.49

750 ml Crown Royal $48.47

Bacardi $56.49 (I don't know how much, it was a big bottle, use the Ketel One bottle in the background as a reference)

Cigarettes $9.85
Pack $9.87

No comments:

Post a Comment