Friday, April 8, 2011

Still thriving

Have you ever experienced the feeling of shoveling heavy wet snow and it is still snowing like crazy?  That is how life has been of late.  As the end of the school year approaches, so do deadlines.  On a happy note, I passed my Praxis I tests!!!  I am done, whew, the nagging July deadline was creeping up.

In a nutshell, I have been putting together requisitions to decide what I am going to need for next year--much easier said than done.  Each time I think I'm set, there is something else.  The no later than date for those is the 20th, so I better get my dwindling glutes in gear. 

Today, I had my first substitute teacher.  I felt the tug of being away from the kids, something that I have not felt before not having children of my own.  Especially when one in particular wasn't adjusting to the change...  My heart.  Anyways, myself and two other staff members were doing aerobics around new math materials for eight hours.  To make a long story short, we adopted a new math curriculum and some of our district sites spread out over 15,000 miles have not received their materials due to a shipping error.  On this Friday we tackled piles of books, manipulatives, and boxes with random components.  Towards the end of the day our job didn't get any easier, well that was until other staff members joined in.  It was like a symphony.  Our colleagues showed up and it was like Santa's workshop; it all came together.  What a team!  I love these guys.  Now the materials are in the hands of the post office, thank goodness.  Working so spread out from the other six sites makes for tough distribution of anything, especially when some of the schools have less than 10 people... 

Five weeks left and then we'll be east bound on a plane to load up on supplies, re-acquaint ourselves with family, and just have a little "us" time.  Then we'll be back on board for another year of island teaching.

Before parting, I'll share with you a drawing two girls whipped up in their free time.  I heart artistic expression.
Notice how they filled the entire page and the overall balance.  Hopefully they continue to communicate through art and don't become discouraged as they age. 

No comments:

Post a Comment