It is night number three at the annual technology conference here in Anchorage. The judges are announcing winners to various categories that students have won. Make Me Laugh, a prompt that only asks for students to take a photo that does just that. Tell Me a Story, a slideshow, narrated or not, that illustrates how life is viewed by a village or students across Alaska.
I have to use the restroom. I wait until the last moment and jet from the room. When I enter the bathroom, I quickly assess that there are three stalls. I make eye contact with a woman that is blowing her nose, we exchange glances, I advance towards the stall. In a very serious tone she says, "Don't use the first stall!"
In my head, I think, oh it is broken. Then, she says as she leans in, her tone more grave. I get nervous. What the heck is wrong with that first stall, should I even be in here?
"I just pooped!" she exclaimed.
I couldn't help but laugh loudly and nervously.
Oh, okay, thanks for the heads up. I tell her.
Then I felt bad. Who laughs at something like that? It was a legitimate tip and if a student would have said that to me, I would have reacted differently. I'd also like to add that this lady wasn't off in any way, just concerned about my discomfort.
The visit to Anchorage has been so varied. The conference brings a lot of people into town. Some are on the road system out here, meaning they have a road that connects them to Anchorage (my interpretation). Others are from the bush, meaning you have to take a plane or boat to get to them. There have been a variety of people with different skills and abilities. For the most part, it has been fun, reviving, and intimidating at times.
That is all for now. I will write more later but had to share the comic relief. Thank goodness for moments of humor to heal one's outlook.

No comments:
Post a Comment