Sunday, January 20, 2013

Little darling, it feels like years since it's been here

I have had a lot of dreams about storms lately.  Floods, torrential rains, and water in general.  There have been a lot of happy themes, only to be overshadowed by storms.  Even in my sleep the horrible winds continue to bombard my senses with the attention drawing, house shaking, sound.  There has been no escape.  Please let there be a sunny day in the future. 

Even more troubling, I just belched banana and haven't had one for days.

School has been going well.  Science fair is creeping up and I got the idea to mummify a fish, so I talked to my kids and shazam.  A cod showed up on Friday.  There will be another fish coming in but the cod has been gutted, and covered in baking soda.

Enjoy the pictorial journey as you escape, via my escape.

Rain, rain go away, come back, another day.

(sorry about the last empty e-mail, I made a mistake)

Pictured taking a picture with my phone, Red Cove in the background, on the climb to Skinny Butt.  There was a break in the weather on Thursday evening.

Iced water, compliments of Mother Nature.  On the way to Skinny Butt, we bumped into Tina and Scout.  "My water got slushy." she had told us.  I thought, well, certainly, she was out here a while, there is no way that'll happen to us.  Afterwards, I noticed my bottle had beautiful ice formations in it.  Go figure.

Gutting the cod.  A few minutes prior to this, in an attempt to avoid looking like a rookie, "Hey Amy, I just slit up the stomach right."  "You've never gutted a fish?"  "Yeah, not so much."  "Yeah, just take the knife up carefully"  "Oh, well, if it is like dissecting, I'll figure it out."  Later the kids said, that I was the bravest one in the classroom.  Love the kids' perspective.

Pouring baking soda into the cavity.  The Egyptians used natron, but I took about 70% of the AC Store's baking soda.  It was so worth it.  By the way, a student took this picture!  I know right!  Take note of the face masked student..  Yes, he is doing the rocker's I love it/you.  Just noticed that. 

Supposedly, the fish is supposed to be covered in 2 inches of baking soda, then changed out with fresh soda a couple of weeks later.  We covered it somewhat and really, the stink was minimal today.  I really had to get my face down to it to fully appreciate the process.

Lastly, I had to share our rendition of bourbon pecan chicken.   Let's begin with the sauce in the foreground, moving clockwise, the sauce is made up bourbon, Dijon mustard, soy sauce, Worcestershire,  and sugar.   Next is wild mushroom cous cous, a healthy bit of Chinese cabbage salad, and the star of the show, bourbon pecan chicken. 

No comments:

Post a Comment