"Well, folks currently the power is out in Sand Point right now and if it doesn't come back on in the next 10 minutes, we're going to fly back to Anchorage." This is what I heard Wednesday night on the final leg of my journey back to the island. Myself and a colleague were sitting adjacent to one another on the plane. At the announcement, we laughed in unison. It wasn't funny, but it sort of was in a sense,
nothing like inconveniencing those waiting to pick us up, or a hotel for another night, or the potential need to hit up a bar in Anchorage to de-stress. By some strike of wizardry, the power came back on. Unbeknownst to myself and the rest of the passengers, we had been circling the island a few times before the pilot had cued us in.
In the days following, I have managed to re-unite with Scout, grab a couple of hikes, and get ready for the transition into semester two. Glad to be able to get out and enjoy the weather while it is mild.
I'll let the pictures tell the rest of the story as I settle back into island life.
 |
| Ocean view spied during Salmon ranch hike on Jan 3. |
 |
| Enjoying the warm sun and ocean view from the hike to the "picnic table". The picnic table hike can be reached by taking the back trails, then hiking along the cliff side above the airport. |
 |
| View from our island to Unga Island. There were several boats out taking cod pots as the cod opener began this week. Tanner crab and polluck will open up soon. Town will get a little busier with fish processing plant workers soon. |
 |
| Snow heart. While looking down on the icy trail, I observed this accidental heart created by bunny feet. |
 |
| Checking out a cool rock formation. It was dripping, yet I could not find the spot where the water was coming from. |
 |
| After climbing up on the rock, we enjoyed a little sledless sledding. Check out that view! |
 |
| Sledless sledding down a snowy tundra slope. |
 |
| One of many sledless runs that ended WITH incident. |
 |
| Oh jeez, I hit something on the way down! |
 |
| Holding the rock that I nailed on the way down the hill. |
 |
| Rip created by sledding down snowy tundra on my bottom without the proper sledding gear. That was a costly mistake. |
 |
| Celebratory apple pie snack before heading back. Look at the beautiful blue sky. The forecast called for rain. |
 |
| Crab perched on salmon. Both patiently wait to be put in the pot. |
 |
| Cioppino. A dish that consists of veggies and fish. The particular one had halibut, salmon, & king crab. It was the perfect top to an amazing last few days of vacation. |
No comments:
Post a Comment