Sunday, December 9, 2012

What 31 looks like


It is my birthday today, and truth be told, thirty-one feels so right.  Plus, I make it look good. 

Last night, a colleague had hors d'oeuvres and a small get together in my honor.  It was so enchanting.  The best thing about having a birthday so close to a holiday is the decorations.  Outside was windy and rainy, a real soaker.  The windows had been pulsing with the intense wind, all the while we conversed indoors with the warmth of a fire, good food and great company.  I certainly felt loved.  Here I am so far away from home, yet am embraced.  So appreciative of it all.

School has been blasting by.  There are 10 school days left until Christmas break and the end of the second quarter already.  The kids have been in great spirits despite the upcoming vacation.  Perhaps they’ll get a little crazier as the days get closer to the countdown of Santa.  Either way,  preparing for the holiday has been fun. 

So until next time, keep an eye out for your highlights and follow your bliss.

Later gators.

Pink Champagne Cake.  BEST CAKE EVER!  Moist?  Why yes it is, thanks to a simple syrup consisting of champagne applied to the naked cake.  Butter cream frosting with butter and shortening too!  I've eaten all but two pieces, well I had a little help.  So worth it.  Thought freezing it would deter me, turns out that frozen cake has a flavor that explodes across one's taste buds as it warms.

Made up these taco phyllo dough appetizers for the get-together last night.  Always wanted to test them out, the recipe call for wonton wrappers, but this version was just fine.  Plus, with their fragility, it was completely acceptable to just open up the hatch and throw it in.

Avalanche Cake.  Lemon cake with seven minute frosting.  Apparently, when they made this cake it was intact, but as the slippery frosting and gravity danced, it cracked.  Not knowing this I thought it looked great.  Top it with a skier and it would be art.  Though I thought it was quite perfect as it was.  What a fun night!  Thank you Sand Point family!

16 oz mocha birthday style.  The barista was so sweet, I giggled when I saw the message on the cap.  Highlight of my day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment