The skies were clear and blue today. Who couldn't resist a hike? Unable to contain myself after learning that low tide was just after noon, I hopped in the vehicle and took a solo hike to Salmon Ranch. I'll let the pictures and captions tell the story.
 |
| The view on the way to Salmon Ranch. |
 |
| Unknown bird nest. Up close it was really neat. The nest resembled a squirrel's nest, but had a roof. It wasn't located far from the ground, so I climbed a nearby alder bush for a better view. In the process, I split my pants in the rear a good four inches and to no avail, failed to see inside it. |
 |
| Eagles nesting spot high up on a cliff edge. |
 |
| Closer view of mother eagle sitting on nest. |
 |
| The cliff that the eagles' nest is on. For some reason the eagles don't go as crazy as one hikes to the right of it. Yet if anyone walks on the beach below it, they go berserkers. The beach behind the rock is Salmon Ranch. |
 |
| Black Oystercatcher. I made it through the trail without being stampeded by buffalo. The tricky spot on the trail adjacent to the nesting eagles was a breeze too. All was well until this little guy saw me. He started shrieking and I thought, hmm, maybe he's just a vocal bird. I looked towards the eagles on the rock, the male looked down at the beach and began making an I'll charge you body motion towards the beach (keep in mind that the eagle was high on the cliff edge). It wasn't just me, that bird was ticked. I took this picture just before he jumped into the air and flew in my direction. |
 |
| Salmon Ranch at a 0.2 tide. The small stream visible to the right draws spawning salmon at the end of the summer. I got as far as the edge of the tundra where it meets the shore before being chased off. The black oystercatcher had been furious. When the bird had flown towards me, I recall thinking, that big orange beak is going to do some damage. I also thought, you can check your attitude at the door Mr. Angry Bird. I had to feel some sort of empowerment over the bird, after all, I had hiked that far only to be chased away. |
No comments:
Post a Comment