Thursday, March 15, 2012

Vitamin D Deficient

I got my blood test results back from the lab.  Well, I didn't really get them, there was a, call us ASAP message left on the phone yesterday.  When I called up the clinic, the verdict was that I am Vitamin D deficient.  Good thing that I opted for a blood test one morning while in town for a conference.

When the woman on the phone said deficient, I had to hold back a laugh.  The sunshine vitamin, I had thought as she was explaining the new prescription that was being put in for me.  So low that I'd have to take the pills over the next 12 weeks...  SunshineDeficient.

The weather here this winter has been really cold and honestly there has been very little sun.  Normally, I get outdoors and do hiking or beach combing, but this year has had severe Eeyore weather.  To compensate I have really been diving into my work.  My classroom website has benefited and my students have a lot of exposure to all kinds of great stuff that I had an ample opportunity to plan.

Truthfully, I was really worried about some sort of malnourishment surfacing.  Throw some supplements down the ol' hatch and I'll be good to go.

A few months ago, a co-worker from the building sitting outside in just shorts.  It was so cold.  "Gotta get my Vitamin D." he said joyfully.  "Whatever it takes." I said feeling somewhat baffled by it.  Perhaps, I should man up and do the same.  Cold shmold.

Lesson learned.  If you live in northern location, get blood tests done.  You never know what your body might be lacking.  Also, if dairy bugs your tummy and you decide to stop consuming milk, get your Vitamin D another way.  



No comments:

Post a Comment