Monday, December 19, 2011

Strong winds

Last Wednesday and Thursday we had what felt like typhoon winds.  Walking in it reminded me of being on an open flight line while the winds tried to blow me out to sea.  There is a bit of mixed excitement with adrenaline.  Feeling the force of it and hearing it rip over objects, it howls and sounds like a train.

The Aleutians get a lot of winds due to its location.  There is a scientific reason that I should remember from my college class last year, but sadly, I don't.  It is just plain windy year round.  It doesn't matter what time of year it is either, summer-windy, winter-windy.  For this reason, we don't have trees.  The winters are mild and the summers are cool, in the 60s from my experience so far.

Yesterday it was 39 degrees which felt really cold.  We were even surprised to see snow this morning.  Hopefully more dumps, I want to go sledding.  There were only 2 or 3 days that were suitable for sledding last year.  Most of the time it is a sinky muddy mess or if we're lucky, the ground freezes just enough for the spongy mud to get hard.  I never imagined feeling sad over melting snow only to be replaced by wind, rain, and the inevitable mud. 


The other side of our building.  We noticed this on our drive today.  When the crazy winds were blowing last week, we thought we heard something slamming against the building.  Oh, it was just the wind ripping the place apart.  When I walked out in the heavy winds, I could barely open the door to get into the school next door.  When I finally got inside, one of this kids said, this is nothing, a couple of years ago it flipped cars and knocked dumpsters over.  You can't tell here but the building is actually quite a bit off the ground.  All structures here are raised up from the ground, 4-5 feet.  When the winds blow or earthquakes happen everything shakes.  Most of the time when it gets windy, not only do the windows bulge in and out, but water in our glasses shake as if we were reliving the movie Jurassic Park and there is a T-Rex out back.  Sitting on a couch or lying in a bed during a windy day here is really indescribable.  It feels like being on a boat crossed with one of those vibrating beds in some hotels.  It's neat.




Unknown animal carcass.  The only thing we have on the island are dogs and bison.  What is this?  The neck part was very wide. 

No comments:

Post a Comment