Friday, December 16, 2011

18,000 gallons, holy smokes!

Just another day at the fuel dock.  School released for Christmas break and the tank was getting low.  "How much does that thing take?"  I asked as I approached what appeared to be the captain.  "About 18,000." he casually replied.  Maybe it wasn't the captain of the boat, but I figured it had to be, who else would foot that bill?

Gasoline currently goes for $4.60 here.  I only filled up 10.6 gallons at $51.  I wonder what it cost the boat for, say, 18,000 gallons of fuel?

Today wasn't as windy.  As I entered the fuel house, I couldn't help but notice the rocking back and forth in the small shack.  I also couldn't help but wonder what it must have been like yesterday.  Before entering, the cashier pointed and said, "Do you see over there, that's where a shed used to be before yesterday."  It must have been horrible suspended over the water like that, violently shaking at the wind's whim.  It was shaking a lot now, I even noticed it in my car.

It was interesting to learn that their tank at the dock can hold several thousand gallons.  18,000 was nothing.  A boat that I took a picture of during my road construction stint, takes in 25,000 gallons.  "What does 25 thousand gallons look like." I asked.  "A lot." was the reply.

Waiting on two vehicles at the fuel dock.  By the way do you notice the large blue boat refueling as well?  18,000 gallons a boat like that can take.  Notice the SUV on the right.  Normally, I've seen people roll out on the bridge to wait.  Then again, that was before the incident.  At the end of the summer, something happened and a person plowed through that beige fuel shed.  There were no fatalities.  For a long time, fuel could only be pumped further back on the land until the repairs took place.  

No comments:

Post a Comment