Friday, September 16, 2011

Mentors for new teachers

My posting this year is sporadic as best.  I thought year two was going to be easier.  One thing that I have learned about being a teacher, though I am only at year number two of this is...  Don't assume anything.  Back in my Air Force days, I was told that to assume was to make an A out of you and me.  Break it up, ass-u-me.  It was a harsh fact to face then as much as it is now.  One would think that one bitter person's words wouldn't stick, but they do have weight, nonetheless.  Don't assume anything. With each year brings another set of perspectives, challenges, and even joys.

On to my next topic of discussion.  The Alaska teacher mentor pairing.  Every new teacher (under three years of teaching experience), receives a mentor to help guide him or her in teaching.  My mentor last year was fine, but I had a relatively easy class.  In contrast, this year, my new mentor has proved to be an invaluable resource.  I was feeling like I was drowning at first.  Here I am in my second year, it was supposed to be easier, right?  Again, back to that assumption thing...  Anyways, that's where my mentor has shined.  I have always been one to welcome help, but I am very grateful that I am lucky enough to have another perspective this year.  Thank you Alaska mentor program.  I'd be, well, I'd rather not think about it, without it.

Alaska certainly is a different place that has a ranking of its own, that thus far is beyond comparison in my life experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment