Saturday, September 17, 2011

Mossberry picking

A friend and I spent the day picking mossberries and blueberries by the reservoir.  It was a warm sunny day that was perfect for basking on the tundra.  Regardless of the activity I have done on the tundra, it still remains a mystery how to navigate it without getting sore at the end.  Enjoy the photos of the tundra in its fall clothes.
Blueberries.  In this region, they are very low growing.  These plants were about 2" long, hugging the tundra.  I ended up eating all of these berries, it was too hard to find that many of them. 

Dolly Varden Trout.  One of the local kids caught this fish in the reservoir--he said this guy was on the small side but still good eats.  It was so pretty, I asked if I could snap a picture of it.  The fish reminded me of a rainbow trout.

Lowland cranberry (I think).  We picked some and then ended up tossing them--without a local's advice, I'd rather not risk a poisoning. 

Daisies. 

Me picking mossberries.  Waterproof rain paints are a must on the moist tundra.
Tundra dressed in fall clothing.  The reservoir is the the background.  On the far right is our water treatment plant and the next building over on the road is the upper building for the hatchery.  In between the two buildings, the terrain slopes downwards and there is a stream that empties into the ocean.  It is here that the salmon travel upwards to spawn in the reservoir. 

Mossberries.  We each picked a gallon's worth today.  Gathering these small berries took around three hours to get a gallon.

No comments:

Post a Comment