Thursday, September 12, 2013

Job Re-Assignment, Hello Kindergarten!

For those nay sayers that said, "There isn't a fall in Fairbanks, the temperature just drops and its winter," what exactly have these pleasant cool mornings and warm evening days been?  I mean really, I watched leaves falling gently to the ground as a light rain washed away the day last night.  The leaves have been changing and it is really striking outside.  Especially when the colored leaves are accented by the deep green pines.  I hope this doesn't come back to bite me next fall, but for now I will tip my hat and appreciate the slow change of colors.  Sadly, I can't report going out in it lately.

Just as I had started to get a grip on my 5th grade routine, I was reassigned to another school, another grade.  The numbers at our school were simply too low.  Our district office oversees well over 20 schools and they don't take into the equation that military bases and posts have a highly transient population.  Unfortunately, before any influx of new Army folks could begin moving into the new housing, I was moved to another school, a different grade.  Low man on the totem pole.  Moved to kindergarten.

Initially, I was ready to take on the challenge.  I thought, I'm on it and let's do this...  I didn't have a choice, so making the best of the situation was appropriate.  Here is how it went down.

Tuesday morning.  Arrive at school.  (was called the night before saying "you are most likely going to move to another school due to numbers, unless someone volunteers.")  I get to school, begin tearing the room down.  I have a bad cold, I hacked the whole time.  I taught until 2:00 pm at which point the principal came in and addressed the students.  I tore down the rest of the room and drove to the other school.

I then talked with the principal at the new school.  Walked into my new room.  The school that I went to had an unusually high number of kindergarten students and they desperately needed another teacher.  This wasn't planned, so the position just opened up.  A room that was originally used as an after school program, was deemed kindergarten.  Nothing on the walls.  No toys.  No anything.  Tables, a chalkboard, a white board, some cabinets, a sink, a microwave, and empty walls (well there was border and colored paper on two bulletin boards and some desk name plates).  No teacher materials.  No curriculum.  No alphabet on the wall.  Close your eyes and envision the last kindergarten room that you visited, now imagine walking into an empty one.

School was to begin the following day.  Wednesday, the first day for the kindergartners.  This was good and bad.  Good because the kinders hadn't been exposed to another's routine.  Bad because I was about to have 24 families waking in the door a few short hours later with kiddos brand new to school...

AND I have survived.  It hasn't been easy.  It was difficult not having any prep time prior to the start of teaching.  Teachers usually go in towards the end of the summer and start to set up, or at a minimum have three days during the work period before classes actually start.  Especially going into a new grade.  Especially going into an empty room with nothing.  Some parents were okay with the situation, knowing I had just hours to prepare, others were LIVID.

They say you can't ever redo a first impression.  I did the best with what I had.  Despite this, I am keeping my head up and doing the best that I can.

As each day passes, I change and reconfigure.  I have hit a lot of walls.  I'm past the just getting through the day with the kids.

The kindergarteners' "newness" of the world is so exciting and refreshing.  Every day there are many "firsts".  It has been really neat really seeing things from their point of view.  From opening wrappers to eating cupcakes.  I couldn't help but laugh when a student brought in cupcakes, there was so much frosting on them that it was impossible to eat without getting frosting on one's hands and face, I too had a hot pink mustache!  They are certainly at a fun age and I am enjoying my time with them.
Fall trees.  Direction.  Cut out a rectangle trunk, glue it down.  Rip paper "leaves" to make fall colors. 

Working on fine motor skills.  It is interesting to see how some students have better muscle development in their hands.  
It was cool to see that even "ripping" paper had to be taught.  Some tried to pull the paper apart.  What a cool age!!!  I just loved the variation between trees too.  The kids that did more than one tree weren't even sitting near one another.  As long as the students followed the general direction, I didn't mind if they strayed creatively.  It wouldn't be right to squish exploration.  I've always held back a gag when I hear teachers complaining about things not "turning out".  What the heck is "right" anyways.  Especially when we all have our own view of the world,  


1 comment:

  1. I forgot to mention this... My new colleagues are SUPER! They are really supportive and all have pitched in. Without their support, my fresh start would have been a nightmare. (not to mentioned all of the borrowed and donated items).

    To this I say Yay for those that are passionate in what they do. The little gestures truly are blessings. Pass the warmth on!

    ReplyDelete