Saturday, August 10, 2013

I Got a Job

To know your city is to go it via bike or on foot.  That we did, today.  For the most part Fairbanks seems to be a pretty neat place.  Downtown, seems touristy, yet there are quite a few transient people as well.  The tourists are pretty easy to peg.  They usually have fanny packs, shorts or capri pants that are khaki in color paired with some sort of top that is practical, yet moisture wicking.  Generalizing am I?  No, maybe, perhaps somewhat?  I know this because anytime we have worn something similar, minus the fanny packs, we have been treated as visitors.  One time while at the cultural center for some event, a man opened the door and said, "Y'all look like tourists, please go ahead."

As far as the transient, or homeless person, they are pretty easy to pick out too.  Today as we were riding past the church that we attend, a man was screaming about his bike.  I guess he was taking a snooze and some kid took his bike.  He was not pleased.  Neither would I be.  Who takes a bike?  Seriously?  Anyways, we heard him screaming, and then saw said bike taker stopped looking back.  Luckily, we spotted cop and told about the situation.  Listen, the guy is livid and screaming about a bike and there is some kid, just so you know....  An onlooker in an adjacent vehicle, started asking what color the dude's hair was on the bike and immediately became concerned.

The rest of the city was pretty nice.  We even stopped by the farmer's market and had delicious burrito prepared by a couple of local burrito wizards.

School professional development begins next week...  Oh and that brings me to the latest news, I got a job.  I interviewed with 8 schools, which is from what I hear, a big deal.  For each position, there are a hundred or more applicants...  Still, with each phone call explaining that I was not chosen for a position, left me feeling pretty bummed.  Then, I did get a call back.  My new job will be in a combo classroom for 4/5 or 5/6, with potentially 20 students.  I have a few apprehensions about this new endeavor, especially since I am expected to teach two separate grades, but will take it as it comes.  I have researched a lot and will have a lot of resources at the new school..  I shall find out when the time comes.  Until then, I can't really prepare until I know what to expect.

I shall continue to update you all as my new workload unfolds.  By the way Fairbanks thus far has been pretty great.  Living in a city opposed to the bush has been very nice.  Entertainment, the availability of goods and services has been pretty super.

My New School.

My new classroom.


No comments:

Post a Comment