Thursday, November 3, 2011

Another AK teacher newbie

I was reading the paper yesterday and came across a small blurb about a woman from Texas--she just got to AK this year...  I recognized her name from the Alaskan Teacher Placement website.  For those of you unfamiliar, the Alaska Teacher Placement, ATP is the vehicle that got us out here.  One of the highlights is a forum that teachers and prospective teachers can use to research and ask real people about what to expect when living in Alaska.  The website also allows one to log-on and upload resumes, research jobs, etc.  Anyways, I saw the name in the paper and checked out the website. 

I'm always trying to check out other people's perspectives to see if what I am feeling is normal out here.  Alaska is so HUGE that people's points of view are often similar but different.  No one place is the same, yet there is a commonality.  And guess what?  I could relate to this particular news story.

If you are interested in yet another perspective of life out here, check out:  http://www.wfaa.com/news/education/an-Alaskan-Adventure-132966333.html
I wonder if she blogs.
My take on a nurse/doctor.  This was taken by a yearbook crew member during the Halloween walk.  Notice how I am holding the clipboard.  A student of  mine specifically said, "Mrs. J, you don't hold the clipboard like that, you hold it like this...  Yes! That's how they hold it---keep it like that."  Children are so perceptive---don't ever think that kids don't notice---they take in everything.  On normal days, even if my hair is slightly different, I am asked what is wrong. 

No comments:

Post a Comment