Thursday, July 28, 2011

Road Construction

To know your environment is to be out in it.  I got a construction job am outdoors for many hours a day.  It feels nice to be outside even if the weather is less than desirable.  So how did this come about?

Nate and I got back to the island just after the 4th of July.  For the most part, we have been picking up packages, unpacking, and for me a lot of TV watching.  Nate has been busy at the school, whereas I was beginning to go more batty each day, so I said yes when offered a job.  It was by luck really.  I spoke with one of the flaggers near my apartment and mentioned that I might light to help out with the paving next summer.  Four hours later there was a knock on the door and I had a job the next morning.  Tomorrow will be day four and it feels nice to do something.  The conversations that I have been involved in while at work, I would not trade.  I feel useful and needed and it is nice.  And since working, I am able to sleep again at night.

Below are pictures from my day.  The sun came out and this is the first time in over a week, so I grabbed the camera for proof.  Ignore the lack of flower identification.  I'm pooped out for the day. 
Me.  Even though the sun was it out it was COLD.  I had long johns, yoga pants, waterproof pants, and knee high rubber boots on the bottom.  On the top, a synthetic shirt, a wool shirt, and a windproof/waterproof breathable jacket.  That ocean breeze was dang chilly--a breezy 50 degree day.

Young Puchki (the Russian name for it) aka Cow Parsnip.  If you touch the leaves of this plant and then expose your skin to sunlight, nasty blisters form.  If you wear long sleeves and part the leaves to a purplish part, you can eat it.  The edible fleshy part smells like celery.  I will wait for a local to show me how to harvest the food part before I risk experiencing discomfort.  I had my fill of being uncomfortable this summer when I experienced CHIGGERS for the first time while in southern Indiana.  Chiggers = horrible

Adult Puchki.

Bog Candle, Leafy White Orchis flower.  It is very fragrant.  Click for a non-distorted photo.

Lupine.

Chocolate Lily, Indian Rice.  Click for a non-distorted view.  The flower is very delicate and pretty, but pictured here, it is close to the end of its life.

Coastal Paintbrush/Yellow Paintbrush with small yellow Western Buttercups in the background.

No comments:

Post a Comment