Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Short Days

I apologize about the lack of posting.  The young pup has dominated any ounce of free time that we have.  Though he is a handful, I don't think that I would go back to the days without him.  Especially  after a taxing school days.  He is just so darn happy.  Plus, how can one be sad when a fiery little fur buddy plops into your lap just to be near?

The job is going well.  I have finally found my groove. The groove meaning that I have figured out how to get the most done, in the least amount of time.  Things such as planning for assessments well in advance instead of, whoops, I should have done this before, but this is my first go, so how would I know...

Speaking of first go, as we near the end of the first semester, I am apprehensive about next fall.  What grade will I be teaching?  Will I even be at this school?  When I taught second grade in the Aleutians, I got through the first year knowing that the second would be much easier.  The second go at anything is always easier knowing what to expect.  I never expected that year number four of teaching would be so difficult.  My current position likely won't exist next year, so the limited amount of supplies that I have will go back to their borrowed places.  Hopefully, my next classroom experience here will be one of inheritance from a another teacher instead of a from-scratch one.

Below are some random pictures from in and around Fairbanks.

Initially wrote this a few days ago, but am posting now.

Notice the bus exhaust pipe extender.   I don't recall seeing buses equipped with these before.    At first I didn't understand them until I drove behind a vehicle and couldn't see from the puff of exhaust.  

Athabascan mittens and gloves.  A traveling art teacher came to my room and did an art lesson with the kindergarteners.  From what I was told, the mittens were the standard until exposure to service members... Then came the gloves. The skin on the outside is moose hide and the lining is beaver fur.  They were so cozy.

Thanksgiving with friends in Delta Junction.  Even though a couple of hours down the road, it sure is nice to feel at home with friends.

Luke & Kona on a hunt for a Christmas tree.  While Kona easily glided on the snow's surface, we had to strap on snowshoes.  At one point I sunk to thigh deep and didn't touch the ground.

Kona and I after a brisk -7 degree walk.  It is supposed to drop -29...

No comments:

Post a Comment